The Estonian National Museum was founded in Tartu in 1909 on the initiative and with the support of the nation – with the task to protect and develop the history and culture of Estonia. As in many other European countries, primary importance was attached to preserving the old, fading peasant culture. Also considered essential was gathering and looking after artefacts contributing to better understanding of cultural development, archaeological findings, old coins, books, manuscripts and historical records.
Estonian National Museum is located in the Tartu, in Raadi area, in 2 kilometers distance of the city centre.
The Estonian National Museum (ERM) new building was opened in October 2016, designed by the Paris-based architecture firm, DGT Architects.